CDL Skills Testing
Scroll down to register
CDL Skills Testing
Central States Safety & Driver Training is a 3rd Party Tester for the State of Nebraska and can conduct the Vehicle Inspection (VI), Basic Control Skills (BCS), and Road Test (RT) to complete the requirements to get your Nebraska’s Commercial Driver’s License, (CDL).
All Central States Safety and Driver Training’s 3rd Party Examiners have over-the-road experience and have at least 5 years of 3rd Party Examining experience.
If you do not have a representative vehicle for the class of CDL you are applying for, we can provide a commercial vehicle to use to take the Vehicle Inspection, Basic Control Skill, and Road Test. We can provide a Class A Tractor-Trailer (manual or automatic), Class A Pickup-Trailer (automatic), Class B (manual or automatic), as well as a School Bus) for testing.
We also offer convenient CDL test times without the long waits at a DMV office. Nebraska 3rd Party Testing regulations require all 3rd Party Examiners to register anyone taking the CDL license tests at least 2 days prior to the test time. At Central States Safety, we will make every effort to conduct the tests as soon as possible after the 2-day waiting period.
All tests begin and end at 2019 F Avenue, Kearney, NE 68847 VIEW OUR MAP
**Please note that you must have a Commercial Learner’s Permit (CLP) and have it for a minimum of 14-days to be scheduled for any skills test. If ELDT is required, that also must be completed prior to any skills testing.
Tips for a Successful CDL Skills Test
To assist you in successfully passing all parts of the skills test, please check out the following links:
Link to the Commercial
To assist you in successfully passing the Vehicle Inspection test:
- Review Section 11 of the Nebraska Commercial Driver’s License Manual
- Watch the Nebraska DMV video “CDL Vehicle Inspection.”
- Link: http://www.dmv.nebraska.gov/examining/pretrip_video.html
A tractor-trailer is divided into 3 sections (Part A, B, C) with and In-Cab inspection and Coupling system:
- Part A: Front of the vehicle, engine compartment, steering axel, and wheel
- Part B: From the fire wall (door area) to the back of the tractor
- Part C: Trailer
- Coupling System: All components of the coupling system
- In-cab inspection is all component inside the vehicle, which includes the air brake tests. Failure to correctly complete the 3-step air brake test will cause an automatic failure of the Vehicle Inspection test.
The Nebraska DMV computer system will randomly select which section a driver will inspect. A driver may be asked to inspect all sections of the vehicle.
Drivers must point to or touch the items they are inspecting and be very specific in telling the examiner what item they are inspecting and what they are inspecting it for. Failure to verbally tell the examiner what you are inspecting the item for will result in not receiving credit for that item.
You may have the CDL Vehicle Inspection Memory Aid found on page 11-9 in the CDL Manual with you for your test. It must be in its original form with no additional marks or writing on it.
To assist you in successfully passing the Basic Control Skills test:
- Review Section 12 in the Nebraska Commercial Driver’s License Manual
- All Drivers will do 3 separate skills tests
- Test 1: Straight line backing
- Test 2: Either off-set left or off-set right
- Test 3: Either conventional parallel park, site side parallel park or alley dock
To assist you in successfully passing the Road Test:
- Review Section 13 of the Nebraska Commercial Driver’s License Manual
- Review the Drivers Manual. Rules and regulations including signs, lane changes, etc. apply.
To schedule a Skills test, click the button below to fill out the button form, and we will contact you for the next possible session. Or you may contact us at 308-455-3035.